The Town of Emmitsburg, a small municipality in northern Frederick County, Maryland, is currently recruiting a dynamic individual to be a sewer/water operator.
The sewer/water operator is responsible for performing the daily operation and maintenance of the Town of Emmitsburg’s water and wastewater plants within the parameters of the Safe Drinking Water Act and state, and local regulations, including all systems, equipment, grounds equipment, laboratory equipment, and vehicles.
This position includes working in a team environment with other dedicated public works professionals.
Additional job responsibilities include:
- Providing status reports to the Lead Operator about the general status, problems or other concerns relating to the treatment plants and facilities.
- Performing daily water treatment facilities maintenance and operation within NPDES permit limits, and accurately records required data in the Daily Log Book.
- Complying with all safety and plant operation/maintenance procedures, and records data required for the Daily Operating Report and applicable Check Lists.
- Performing necessary maintenance and repairs as required on tools, equipment, facilities, and supplies. Ensuring vehicles are maintained and in good repair, and that necessary repairs and general maintenance information is provided to the Lead Operator.
- Performing all required weekly plant/facilities tests and reports problems to Lead Operator.
- Performing weekly inventory of all supplies, including laboratory and chemical supplies, and preparing supply orders for approval.
- Assisting public works crews with other Town maintenance work as needed, including emergency response, and at any time that additional crew is needed to perform seasonal and emergency grounds and road maintenance/repair, snow removal, grass mowing (manual and machine), weeding, and road repair for Town property.
Skills and abilities:
- Good working knowledge of water/wastewater plant operation/maintenance and applicable regulatory and safety procedures, tools/equipment, chemicals and laboratory specs, and other resources required for operating/maintaining water treatment facilities.
- Ability to perform job with minimal supervision; good problem identification and solving skills; reliable project/task follow-through.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; legible handwriting; good math ability (including metrics system).
- Willingness and availability to work varied shift schedule, including weekends, nights, early mornings, holidays and overtime.
- Ability to perform extensive walking and use of arms/legs for plant and grounds maintenance work, shoveling, mowing, weeding, hauling, lifting, climbing stairs, ladders, platforms, etc.
- Must be able to lift/carry 80 lbs.
- Must be willing/able to complete Hepatitis Shot (3-Series).
- Must be willing and able to perform interior/exterior work in all seasonal climate/weather conditions - rain, snow, sleet, hot, humid, cold, etc.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Compensation will vary based on licenses held, but ranges from $16.84 per hour to $20.96 per hour. Candidates without current licenses will be required to obtain them within in the first 12-18 months of employment. Candidate must also have an ability and the willingness to obtain a CDL and Flaggers License within six months of hire and have a valid driver’s license when hired.
Resumes should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.