Now Open: First Three Wayside Exhibits
During fiscal year 2019 the Town was awarded a $9,000 grant from the Maryland Heritage Area Authorities that partially funded the addition of three (3) historic wayside exhibits to Main Street. The exhibits highlight the history of the following locations in Emmitsburg:
- Town Square – located at the intersection of Seton Avenue and Main Street
- Emmit House - located at 601 West Main Street
- Doughboy Statue – located in front of the Emmit House
A ribbon cutting ceremony was held on June 29, 2019 to officially open the three (3) exhibits to the public. The exhibits can be reached any time of day by parking along Main Street and walking to the exhibits. Please note there are no restrooms and water fountains on site.
Ribbon Cutting for Wayside Exhibits at the Town Square
Front Row L to R: Emmitsburg Commissioner Clifford Sweeney, Frederick County Councilman Vice President Michael Blue, Mayor Donald Briggs, County Executive Jan Gardner and Scott Grove of Grove Public Relations (sign designer).
Back Row L to R: Denis Onieal, Deputy U.S. Fire Administrator NETC, Wayne Slaughter (EBPA), Emmitsburg Commissioner Timothy O’Donnell, Emmitsburg Commissioner Joseph Ritz, III, John Howard and Keith Suerdieck Emmitsburg Planning Commission Chairman.
Future Historic Walking
In fiscal year 2020 the Town applied for another $12,062 in grant funding from the Maryland Heritage Area Authorities. If approved, the Town plans to add another four (4) wayside exhibits focusing on the history of the Vigilant Hose Company, Carriage House Inn, Chronicle Press and Great Fire of 1863. The Town plans to create a historic walking tour of Emmitsburg once a total of 12 exhibits have been added to Town. More information regarding the walking tour will be available in the future.