In order to apply, the property has to be located within a designated Sustainable area -- primarily the National Register Historic District. The Town has received $50,000 in grant money each year since FY2013. For FY2020 we will receive $55,000.
Legacy Grants Photo Gallery
- An owner who is interested in applying for the program should contact the
Town Planner at 301-600-6309 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure their property and their project
qualifies. Applications can be downloaded here or picked up at the Town office.
- A local Sustainable Community Work Group reviews the applications received
and forwards them to the Maryland Historical Trust for review. The MHT review
determines whether the property is a "contributing structure" to the historic
district, and whether the proposed project complies with Federal standards for
materials and work on such structures.
- Once approved, the Town and property sign an agreement -- with a time frame
for completion -- and the work can commence.
- When the work is completed, the owner pays the total amount to the contractor
and provides proof to the Town that the contractor has been paid.
- The Town submits a reimbursement request to DHCD for the 50% grant money,
and provides a check to the property owner once the reimbursement is
**This process takes a few months, but the results have been very positive for both the property owners and the Town in general.