Current Job Openings
Currently hiring for a Town Planner, see below the link to apply at indeed.
Full Job Description
Directs and assists management with all municipal planning and land use functions for the Town. Acts as an advisor to the Town Board, Planning Commission, Board of Appeals and Sustainable Community Board provides leadership and support on all planning and infrastructure related projects. Additional responsibilities include grant writing and administration, permit issuance, ordinance drafting, zoning enforcement, maintaining accurate records, and public interaction. Work with code enforcement officer as needed/directed by Town Manager. This position falls under the general supervision of the Town Manager. Additional duties will/can be assigned by the Town Manager and Mayor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Work with the Town’s consultant to manage the Town’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general permit for discharges from small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4).
· Prepare Comprehensive Plan for the town on a periodic basis, as required by MD Land Use Law. Coordinate plan review process with staff, applicable county and state agencies.
· Work with state and county agencies, developers, engineers, architects and other professionals on infrastructure projects within the town, as well as individual site development projects. Coordinate with County and State agencies on planning issues.
· Manage the Geographic Information system (GIS) and coordinate with other departments and consultants as needed.
· Research potential grants, write grant applications, and manage grants received. Compose progress reports and other required elements.
· Evaluate and process site plans, improvement plans, preliminary subdivision plats, final subdivision plats, forest delineation plans, preliminary forest conservation plans, deeds of easements, public works agreements, long-term forest protective agreements, and adequate public facilities ordinance applications and documents for compliance with applicable regulations and codes, and distribute plan and plat review comments to Planning Commission and other involved parties. Interact with developers and consultants in the course of plan review. Prepare staff reports for Board of Commissioners, Planning Commission and Board of Appeals; draft decisions for Planning Commission and Board of Appeals to commemorate determinations made at hearings.
· Review permit applications for compliance, work with applicants, and coordinate review with Frederick County Permits office. Issue permits and supervise permit tracking.
· Provide guidance for, and supervise zoning aspects of, Code Enforcer’s duties. Confer with Town Manager when needed. Attend court proceedings as needed.
· Attend meetings of the Planning Commission and Board of Appeals. Attend Town Board meetings as needed. Prepare comments and presentations as needed.
· Draft new sections or modifications of sections of the Town Code as directed.
· Prepare annexation plans and participate in preparation of annexation agreements.
· Assist with bid requirements for development and public works projects.
· Research and/or design small-scale projects and coordinate elements needed for implementation.
· Develop, distribute, and advertise Requests for Proposal. Evaluate and make recommendations on responses.
· Maintain property map and plan files for Town and development projects.
· Work closely with grant administrator on specific grants related to stormwater management and MS-4.
· Other related duties and assignments as directed by the Town Manager and Mayor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Education/Work Experience: Bachelor's degree in Land Use Planning or a related field, with at least four years of related experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. AICP certification is desirable.
- Ability to manage/undertake a broad spectrum of tasks concurrently, meet deadlines, and produce quality outcomes.
- Working knowledge of standard planning and zoning procedures; ability to read/understand plats and plans.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and ability/willingness to learn other software programs. Strong understanding of technology used in the field.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) training and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, report writing ability, and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a strong attention to detail, ability to multi- task, prioritize, research discrepancies, problem-solve and recommend/implement strategy and processes to maximize return for the Town.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and also as a team member.
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical ability.
- Excellent work ethic and professional appearance.
- Willingness/ability to be flexible regarding work schedule, including work before/after regular work hours, overtime hours and/or weekends as necessary to support Town requirements.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record. Willingness/ability to drive to sites as needed in the performance of the job.
- Ability to regularly sit, work, perform tasks manually and by computer for extended periods.
- This position requires a moderate degree of skill in problem-solving and decision-making; memory recall as it pertains to relaying details in an oral/written format, and in reading, writing, and speaking.
- Moderate lifting (up to 40 lbs.)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $72,379.00 - $108,569.00 per year
-Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Emmitsburg, MD: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Work Location: One location
Please see below the link to apply online at indeed.