Planning & Zoning
The Office of Planning & Zoning oversees the application and enforcement of the Emmitsburg Municipal Code as well as serving as a liaison on a number of community related activities. The Office of Planning & Zoning is also primarily responsible for:
- issuance of zoning certificates
- codes enforcement
- development plans review
- long range planning and zoning studies
- attending meetings, providing support, and making recommendations to the Mayor & Board of Commissioners, the Emmitsburg Planning Commission and the Emmitsburg Board of Appeals
- drafting legislation on planning & zoning matters
- serve as a liaison with Frederick County on planning and zoning related matters
- serve as community liaison on special events planning and economic & business development
Permit assistance is available:
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. Walk-ins are accepted but appointments are recommended to ensure service.
To schedule an appointment, contact the Town Office at 301.600.6300
More permit info!
The Town of Emmitsburg Zoning Ordinance governs the type of use allowed as well as the dimensional limits or requirements for a project. To ensure that your project complies with the town's zoning ordinance, we require an opportunity to review your proposed project. We can also ensure that there would be no impacts on town easements, sewer lines, waterlines, etc. After this review, a permit or zoning certificate is issued, if approved.
Heads up! There various local, state and federal incentives for starting new businesses in the Town of Emmitsburg.
Click for details!