Current Job Openings
Water/Sewer Operator Trainee
The Sewer/Water Operator Trainee is responsible for performing the daily operation and maintenance of the Town of Emmitsburg’s water and wastewater plants within the parameters of the Safe Drinking Water Act and state, and local regulations, including all systems, equipment, grounds equipment, laboratory equipment, and vehicles. Operator Trainees work with a Sewer/Water Operator or Lead Operator. This is a great opportunity to start your career in this field and learn from experienced team members.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday thru Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (On-call when needed)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with an Operator or Lead Operator in the performance of all requirements for the daily operation of the Town’s water/wastewater plants according to the procedures set by the Town, and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Performs daily water treatment facilities maintenance and operation within NPDES permit limits, and accurately records required data in the Daily Log Book.
- Complies with all safety and plant operation/maintenance procedures. Satisfactory and current compliance with workplace/job specific safety requirements, training and certification.
- Performs necessary maintenance and repairs on tools, equipment, facilities, supplies and ensures vehicles are maintained and in good repair. Ensures that necessary repairs and general maintenance information are reported to the Lead Operator.
- Assists Operator or Lead Operator with required weekly plant/facility tests.
- Assists Operator or Lead Operator with the weekly inventory of all supplies, including laboratory and chemical supplies.
- Assists PW crews with other Town maintenance work as needed, including emergency response, and at any time that additional crew is needed to perform seasonal and emergency grounds and road maintenance/repair, snow removal, grass mowing (manual and machine), weeding, and road repair for Town property.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Education/Work Experience: High School graduate or equivalent preferred.
– Valid driver’s license required. Ability/willingness to obtain CDL and Flaggers License within six (6) mos. of hire.
– Ability/willingness to obtain Water Treatment and/or Wastewater license to be eligible for promotion to S/W Operator.
– Must meet the Town’s requirement for satisfactory background check and drug screen.
- Skills/ability to learn the procedures and requirements for water/wastewater plant operation/maintenance and applicable regulatory and safety procedures, proper use of tools/equipment, chemicals and laboratory specs.
- Plumbing and electrical experience.
- Ability to perform job with minimal supervision; good problem identification and solving skills; reliable project/task follow-through; reliable work ethic.
- Good verbal/written communication skills; legible handwriting; good math ability (including metrics system).
- Willingness and availability to work varied shift schedule, including weekends, nights, early mornings, holidays and overtime.
- Extensive walking and use of arms/legs for plant and grounds maintenance work, shoveling, mowing, weeding, hauling, lifting, climbing stairs, ladders, platforms, etc.
- Good eyesight and ability to clearly read equipment instrument panel digital input/output and discern applicable color codes, etc.
- Must be able to lift/carry 80 lbs.
- Must be willing/able to complete Hepatitis Shot (3-Series).
- Must be willing and able to perform interior/exterior work in all seasonal climate/weather conditions - rain, snow, sleet, hot, humid, cold, etc.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.26 - $19.83 per hour