Public Information Act
Maryland’s Public Information Act (“PIA”) gives the public the right to access government records. The PIA grants you the right to review the available records that are disclosable and to obtain copies of those records. It does not require an agency to answer informational questions or to create a record to satisfy a request. To submit a PIA request to the Town of Emmitsburg, please see below. For more information about the PIA, please visit the Maryland Attorney General’s website at https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/Pages/OpenGov/pia.aspx
Custodian of Records for the Town:
Primary Contact: Madeline Shaw, Mshaw@emmitsburgmd.gov
Secondary Contact: Cathy Willets, Cwillets@emmitsburgmd.gov
How to Request Town Records:
- Complete the Public Information Act request form here.
- Email it to the primary and/or second custodian of records contact listed above. The form can also be mailed or delivered to the Town Office at 300A South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg, MD 21727.
- Town staff will acknowledge receipt of request.
- If approved, a request is usually completed within 10 business days. The requestor will be notified if more than 10 business days are needed.
Readily Available Records Upon Request:
- Town Municipal Code and Charter
- Passed Ordinances, Resolutions, Proclamations, and Policies
- Final Town Budgets and Audit Reports
- Meeting Minutes and Agenda Packets for the Board of Commissioners
- Meeting Minutes and Agenda Packets for the Planning Commission
- Public Bidding and Requests for Proposals Documents
Charges for Records:
The Town charges a copying fee of $0.25 per page for hard copies of most standard documents containing 5 or more pages. Copying charges may be more for larger size items or other specialty type records. There may also be a fee of $25.00 per hour if the retrieval, review, or research of the records takes more than 2 hours. Payment is required in full upon retrieval of records.